Ex 'Very Happy' Man Accused in Ariz. Rampage Is DeadJune 13, 2018 1:37pm

An Arizona woman says she was on "high alert" for nine years against her own "personal terrorist"—and she's relieved he's now dead. Those were the words of Dr.

Connie Jones on Tuesday, when the AP notes she addressed for the first time the six Phoenix-area murders carried out by her ex-husband, Dwight Lamon Jones, earlier this month.

At a presser, Connie Jones revealed how she'd dealt with threats from her ex (who killed himself June 4 during a police standoff) against her and her son since she'd filed for divorce in 2009, and that she'd always felt she would be the one her ex would attempt to murder.

"I knew one day we would be in a situation where he was trying to kill me," she told reporters, per the Phoenix New Times.

"His death is the best thing to come out of this ordeal."

Connie Jones documents years of threats, including her ex saying he'd kill her, kidnap their son, kill both her and their son, or murder just their son to "torture" her.

CNN documents the steps she took to stay safe, including changing routines and schedules (meaning they avoided favorite spots and kept switching grocers), setting up multiple safe houses, and obtaining round-the-clock security.

The Los Angeles Times notes Jones hired private investigator Rick Anglin to offer her "extensive" training in weapons and defensive driving; she ended up marrying him.

Anglin was the one who put the pieces together and told cops his suspicions that Dwight Jones had carried out the murders. Connie Jones says she's saddened over the killings but adds she was "very happy" when she heard her ex had died: "[I felt] relief in my chest that this … would be the last that I had to deal with him."

More From Newser

This article originally appeared on Newser: Ex 'Very Happy' Man Accused in Ariz. Rampage Is Dead

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

Woman faked kidnapping to cover up boyfriend’s killing, police saySharalyn Stura, 57, of Prescott, Arizona, was arrested on suspicion of murdering her boyfriend, Michael Freeman, 66, and allegedly faked her own kidnapping.
Ohio man who used dead boy’s ID revealed as WWII vet, 75, who vanished in 1965A 75-year-old Ohio loner killed himself in 2002 after stealing the identity of an 8-year-old boy who died in a Texas car crash during World War II, federal marshal said.
MS-13 gang members, including 10 illegal immigrants, charged in deaths of Virginia teensEleven MS-13 gang members – all of whom are illegal immigrants except one – are now facing life sentences after being charged in the kidnappings and deaths of two teens whose bodies were dug up last year in a Virginia park.
FILE - This Aug. 19, 2010, file photo shows Arizona Department of Corrections Director Charles Ryan at a news conference in Phoenix. Ryan is blaming a medical services contractor for a failure to follow through on promises to improve health care for inmates when the state settled a lawsuit over inmate care. (AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin, File)
Arizona's prisons boss found in contempt over inmate care
Pennsylvania man who slashed newborn's face and neck gets up to 52 years in prisonA Pennsylvania man was sentenced Thursday to 26 to 52 years in prison after he was found guilty of attempted murder for slashing his newborn daughter’s neck in 2014.
Parkland shooter Nikolas Cruz warned student: 'Something bad is about to happen'Florida prosecutors have released the witness statement of a student who survived the Parkland school shooting after a face-to-face encounter with gunman Nikolas Cruz, the Miami Herald reports.
This component is currently unavailable.
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices